Mizuho enters digital wallet joint venture with Metaps
Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (President & Group CEO: Yasuhiro Sato), Mizuho Bank, Ltd. (President & CEO: Koji Fujiwara), Metaps Inc. (CEO: Katsuaki Sato), and WiL LLC (CEO: Gen Isayama) signed an agreement for capital participation and business cooperation for the purpose of providing a new settlement service using FinTech.
This jointly-established new company will be able to take advantage of Mizuho’s customer base and expertise in financial services together with Metaps’ data analytics and electronics payments knowledge and smartphone app expertise, along with support from WiL, a venture capital firm with an extensive network of cutting edge service providers, to create and provide the new payment services detailed below.
Overview of New Company The following basic points were agreed upon regarding the company’s establishment. The company’s capital structure will be negotiated between the four founding companies with consideration of the new company’s medium- to long-term outlook.
1. Name: M Wallet Preparation Company Inc.
2. Head office location: 6-8-1 Nishi Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
3. Purpose of business: 1) Facilitation of electronic payment via digital wallet app 2) Payment data-leveraged marketing 3) Other related business
4. Date of establishment: May 1, 2017 (scheduled)
5. Representative Director: Mitsuhiko Ogihara (currently President & CEO of SPIKE Payment Inc.)
6. Launch of operations: Summer 2017 (scheduled)
Outline of Digital Wallet App for Electronic Payment*
1. Issuance of e-money credited directly from bank account
2. Provision of digital wallet app that utilizes e-money
3. Targeted marketing that connects users with member stores through analysis of payment data
*This information is up-to-date as of the issuance of this press release, but is subject to change.
The four companies (Mizuho Financial Group, Mizuho Bank, Metaps, and WiL) will continue to explore the possibilities of FinTech services through the development of this digital wallet app.